Day 18: Nostalgia day in Edmonton

July 23:  This morning was nostalgic exploration, looking for the two houses I lived in when I was very little.  Unfortunately, despite driving back and forth and Lyndsey’s awesome navigation skills, I never did find the first house.  The second one I found with no trouble, only to discover they have completely redone it so it is unrecognizable!  And quite recently, by the looks of the front and back lawns.  My one consolation was that the trees that were planted for each of us kids when I was six are still there in the back yard -- and enormous, as you can well imagine.


For the afternoon we picked up my aunt Bobbie and went for lunch at my aunt Joyce’s.  Both women are my mother’s brothers’ widows; both are in their late 80s and as funny and feisty as ever, allowing for the natural slowdown of age.  I was a little concerned Lyndsey might be bored, as I knew the talk would revolve at least partly around family members she’s never met, but she assures me she wasn’t bored at all.  We chatted for the afternoon and I took them out to supper at a small restaurant not far from Joyce’s house.  It was so lovely to see them both and to reconnect.

TownePlace Suites, dinner at Ricky’s Bar and Grill.

Bobbie
Joyce



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22: Beach day!

Day 20: Respecting Native heritage

Day 17: Edmonton